Friday, November 19, 2010

Mimes and Infertility

There is a radio commercial right now (for Geico - so you get the randomness of it all) that asks if Mimes are less creepy on the radio. And somehow this got my mind to thinking - mimes and infertility are so alike. OK, maybe not. Mimes are annoying, and so is infertility. But there is something I can learn from mimes: inner confidence. Have you ever seen a mime not totally committed to their art? A mime in the middle of a show can show no self-doubt. And this is what I intent to project as I go toward FET.

The truth is that there is a much greater possibility that it won't work. But I can't focus on that. I have to ignore what others think or say and cling to the possibility that it might work. It just might work. Not because I did anything right or because I am a good person or because I deserve it. It might just work because it did.

Sometimes I feel like it is silly for me to believe it might work, as if there is so much evidence that it won't work, and people might make fun of me for having faith in the face of low probability. And this is when I think of the mime, performing even though so many people find them creepy. I am certainly no more "out there" than that.

No comments:

Post a Comment