Monday, November 22, 2010

48 hours and Counting

In less than 48 hours I will have between 1 and 3 lovely embryos inside me, fully PUPO and hopefully PUB. That's the plan anyway. And all I have to do is relax into it.

I was thinking this weekend about "going with the flow," which is...let's just say it is not my natural inclination. I am not a contrarian, and I generally try to avoid creating conflict - I am a People Pleaser. But I over analyze and worry and plan and doubt and thinkthinkthink about things way too much to be considered easy going. But I do have to say that I have started to mellow out considerably, and my personal philosophy has opened up some. I think.

But maybe I have been giving myself a little too much credit. I thought that my belief that things in life happen, that there is a reason for things, was pretty solid. Sure, I get mad, but then I look for a lesson or an advantage, and I try not to get too worked up. But this whole baby-making experience has shown me I was only partially open to what I (correctly or incorrectly) describe as a Zen way of being. I agreed things happen. Or things don't happen. And that is just the way it is, without judgment or punishment or much impact from my day-to-day actions. What I failed to see before, though, was my skewed reaction to this belief had me constantly looking for clues for what was about to happen (or not happen) and trying to guess what the future would bring. As though it were already written.

And I struggled to find clues because I didn't want to be the only one who didn't see what was obvious to everyone else. This is clearly a reflection of my messed-up youth. On the one hand, I saw my mom blindsided by whom she thought was one of her best friends, who was in fact having an affair with my dad and later became my step-mom. I know how hurt my mom was by the betrayal (from both dad and step-mom), but she also felt as though everybody else knew, and she was embarrassed further by being "clueless" about it. She used to talk to me a lot (even though I was only 7) about her feelings, and I think in some way her experience became my own. But this was also intensified by my mom's natural tendency to shoot down any positive feelings I had for a bright future. She sent a strong message of "why do you think something good is going to happen to you?" with an implied sense of unworthiness. But it wasn't as though good things didn't happen - they did! But I wasn't supposed to expect them or rely on them or hope for them - that would be greedy or presumptuous or foolhardy. Because I might be the only one who was thinking positive thoughts while everyone else was laughing behind my back, and that would NOT be good. So optimism, which I maintain is still my natural outlook on life, was taught out of me.

And the future became slightly hopeless - in the sense that hope had very little to do with it. I suppose I viewed destiny like a Choose Your Own Adventure book. The pages in the book were already written and I had some personal choice as to what order I chose to read the pages, and whether I hit good pages or scary pages, but the story (and ending) were essentially already written. Now I feel my mind is developing and I have a much wider view of destiny. What is going to happen will happen, but it is not predetermined. It is more like this blog - I don't know where it is going when I start a post, and I don't know where all the posts are going until I am able to look back and reread a few in sequence.

So in less than 48 hours am I going to be pregnant? I don't know. But it is a serious possibility. And only time will tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment