Friday, September 17, 2010

IVF Update: Fertilization

Despite the odds, and in spite of Dr. Personality's diagnosis of less-than-good sperm, 10 of my 14 eggs fertilized. Woo hoo! So now we will likely have several extra to put on ice after tomorrow's transfer. That's right, transfer is tomorrow. It seems so soon. I originally thought it would be Sunday, and we had childcare all lines up and plans to go to the County Fair, etc. But plans change and this would be so exciting if it weren't so scary.

I went to the accupuncturist today for a final tune up/tune in and I feel very in touch with my fertile side. My uterus is glowing green and gold, ready for embryos to find a safe and cozy home, to nuzzle in and grow into little fetuses. Eeks - I can't seem to get away from thinking in plural. I am 85% sure I want just one baby. But when it comes down to it, I want 2 babies much more than I want none, so I just don't know how much to risk it. The big question will be how many embryos to transfer. I just don't know! I am hoping the embryologist can give me some good mathematical percentages that I can grasp onto - I would like to transfer as many as it takes to have a 60% chance of pregnancy. Rather, how many would it take to have no more than 100% total. For example (and I am making these numbers completely up), if I transfer 1 there is a 35% chance of pregnancy and 0% chance of twins. If I transfer 2 there is a 50% chance of pregnancy and a 20% chance of twins. (50 + 20 <100 = Not high enough). If I transfer 3 there is a 65% chance of pregnancy, a 35% chance of twins and a 10% chance of triplets (65 + 35 + 10 > 100 = too high). But hopefully the numbers will be different and I can get something in the 80s or 90s. That's the goal.

Meanwhile, things on the home front are much better. I am feeling nicer toward Wife and I really appreciate how I was able to sleep all day yesterday. I am not getting frustrated and inpatient with Kids because I slept all day yesterday. So if I can just sleep for the next few weeks I think we will all be good.

And shout out to the ethos - please wish me luck tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment