Friday, September 17, 2010

IVF Update: Egg Retrieval

So I meant to blog yesterday but I was simply too drugged out. I had my egg retrieval, which was SO much better than I thought it would be. I took my Valium like a good girl and was pleasantly "dulled" when I got into the office. Getting the IV sucked - two pricks before it worked - but seriously, that was the worst part. The doctor came in, not my regular doctor who is out of town, but Mr. Personality who told me my right ovary was a dud. Anyway, I liked him better this time because he gave me serious numbing drugs and I was a silly mess. I don't remember what garbage I was talking about - but I am pretty sure none of it made sense. They gave me some local anesthesia shots on my ovaries (I think - remember, very drugged out) which were like little pinches but not too bad. Then they put what I later learned was a BIG ASS NEEDLE up my cooch and started sucking out eggs. You could see the needle poke into the little follicles and shrink them up. Slurp slurp several times and then they were done. Well, there was some "clean up" which I really didn't want to think about bleeding and suck, so I ignored that part. Meanwhile I just hope they are staring at my vagina and not my flaming hemorrhoids.
So doctor does a count and says he expects about 5 eggs to be mature, and anything above that is gravy. But he will be back in about 20 minutes to tell us the count. So we wait. And about 20 minutes later Dr. Personality comes back and says, "I don't know where they came from, but we got 14 eggs." Holy crap! That is pretty exciting news! So with the help of the nurse, I slowly get up, put my clothes back on and even though they tell me not to eat anything until we get home, and to avoid fatty foods for the rest of the day, Wife and I go to Jack in the Box. I mean seriously, I need some fat, warm food in me.
I then go home and sleep for hours. Pretty good sleep too.

No comments:

Post a Comment