Monday, January 31, 2011

The Ultimate To-Do List

I ran across a pregnancy checklist this weekend. I thought "this will be fun" and decided to see where I sit. Not to brag too much, but I am rocking the first trimester steps. I am particularly proud of starting the belly shots (at 12 weeks exactly last Friday). Went out and bought size 36Ginormous bras over the weekend - it really isn't pretty! Have a long list of possible names that needs to be winnowed. Eating right, etc.

Admittedly, I could be better about drinking water and getting to bed early. I am slightly behind on "choose a caregiver" because I don't particularly like the one I initially chose, so I have an appointment next week with a different midwife and we will see if this is a better match. And I am completely putting my head in the sand regarding "make a baby budget." Budgeting and I just don't seem to get along very well.

Each year, and often more times throughout the year, I make a budget -- but I don't follow it. I am terrible about following it. And somehow things work out in the end. I am always stressed about finances at the beginning of the year. Tax withholdings are highest, I have to meet my healthcare deductible, I get the bills from Christmas. It is an ugly financial time. So really, now is not the time to be looking at forming a budget - it will only stress me out, and isn't stress really bad for a pregnancy? So I think it is actually a smart move to forego the budget analysis. (snarky laugh)

Back to the list, because it is nice to feel prepared: Some second trimester activities done. Signed up for prenatal yoga class. Tracking weight gain. Not going to find out critter's gender until big surprise at birth (but my money is on a girl). Kids know and are excited. Got lots of maternity clothes and wearing them regularly. Adult time? Not with Kids. Some date nights, but wish I could date somebody else's Wife. Just sayin' Pets are prepared. Pets are already aware they have been demoted. Have childcare for new critter - do need to figure out who looks after Kids while I am in labor. 

I even have a few of the third trimester activities already checked off. Pediatrician - check. Will work after birth - check. No circumcision - check. Crib set up - check. Yes, we got "big kid beds" for the Kids this weekend, and spent the day on Sunday setting them up, converting one of their toddler beds back into a crib and figuring out how all of that, plus two dressers and a changing table are going to fit into one bedroom. But I think it can be done. Girl absolutely loves her bed and bedding -- she looks so tiny in such a big bed. Boy splays out and almost fills the bed already. He looks like he belongs in this new bed and doesn't so much love it as much as feels completely at home in it. They are sometimes so completely different.

Wonder what the third will be like. (It is too late for anything to split into twins, right?)

No comments:

Post a Comment