Monday, January 24, 2011

Cat's Out of the Bag

Last Friday was fun at work - I came out as pregnant and got lots of hugs and congratulations. And coming in to work this morning, in my maternity pants (!), was so much fun. I haven't seen anybody yet, but I just feel so much happier knowing that I don't have to pretend to be gaining weight for bad reasons. And I get to feel as though my future baby is here with me in the office. Very cool!

So my boss, a guy, was very excited. He used to be a birthing coach (ick!) so we wanted a few extra details but overall was very cool. He stated flat out that now is time for me to relax, do my work but don't worry about coming in early or staying late. I told me my only concern was commuting toward the end of the pregnancy - at that time my company will have moved and the drive will be at least an hour each way. He immediately told me that I could work from home. (He then backtracked to say it would happen if he had anything to say about it, and hopefully we don't get any opposition from his boss, though, so it is not entirely set in stone.) Anyway, my boss is supportive and happy for me -- every time I saw him later in the day he was kinda gushing. Pretty funny!

Now my boss's boss was a little less enthusiastic. He said congratulations. When I assured him I would be returning to work, he mentioned that a lot of women change their minds, and he hopes I do come back but he would not hold it against me if I didn't. Ummm, does he know my life? As if I even have the option of not working? Besides the fact that staying home full-time would drive me batty, we have that little requirement of income. So unless I will the lottery, I will be back. (And if I win the lottery, I would still be working, only in a high school!)

So my boss's boss's boss (yes, I am that much of a peon in this organization) was also very excited for me. She talked about how she felt during her pregnancies. Told me to take good care of myself. Has no concerns about me coming back. Very excited to throw a baby shower (how cute is that?).

But the coolest part is that I felt so free telling everyone we did IVF and that it took a long time for me to get pregnant - it just felt so much better to share the struggle side along with the celebration. Also, I love how nobody asked how many babies and I didn't get any of the "good thing it isn't twins" response. (Turns out I am still a little sad about that one.) Overall a great experience and let's hope it doesn't come back to bite me.

No comments:

Post a Comment